Re: [6pack] Head studs

To: johncnorth@gmail.com (John North)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Head studs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:57:58 -0800
 John---OK, it's OK to save $140.  The whole trick in re-using key bolts
and studs is based on knowing that they weren't previously stretched
beyond their yield strength. If they haven't been tightened beyond the
recommended torque figures they should be good for repeated use.
When bolts stretch, it is always in an area that's outside of the
threads that are captive. Stretched threads can usually be tested by
spinning the proper nut down to the root thread, without feeling
different than the others.  Others may disagree, but this works for me,
and my all original head studs and rod and main bols..

Dick
'73, with 317,000 miles of giggles

johncnorth@gmail.com(John North)

Should I replace the head studs or re-use the old ones?   They look to
be in good shape and the new ones are like $10 each, 14 needed. Seems
like no-one stocks the two longer ones anymore either.   I did raise
compression to 9.5:1, which is a factor.   I pretty much persuaded
myself to by new, but maybe some who have BTDT can tell me it's OK to
save $140...   What is "special" about these?   Are they a generic
product available outside the big 3?
John North