[6pack] Re: Recommendation for a folding engine crane ?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Re: Recommendation for a folding engine crane ?
From: "Jerry Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:23:37 -0500
The ceiling of my garage has no spans of more than a few feet between steel
columns embedded in my concrete garage floor,  and/or laminated floor
trusses.Hence my floor joists are more than adequate, particularly if you
spread the force between two adjacent 2x10 joists only 16" apart (actually, 1
1/2" x 9 1/2" dressed). I lag screwed two 2 x 10 x 24  plates with holes to
support  1"x1" square steel thick-walled tubing between the joists, and used a
2-ton chain hoist. Didn't even move my piano overhead, and held up  my tub
with doors, fenders, hood and trunk id,  and my engine w/o even a creak of the
floor.

Neither of these loads exceed 800 lbs spread among two adjacent joists.

Hardly a problem, even with older homes with lesser supports. Actually, some
older turn-of-the-century homes had larger floor joists and more support.

See
http://www.triumphowners.com/collection.cgi?task=PHOTO&photocategoryID=1477&s
ectionID=111032

Oh, I did punch holes in the dry-wall ceiling of my garage, but use painted
aluminum plates and replacement fiberglass insulation to cover when not used.

Even my wife appreciated it. :-)