RE: [6pack] Vibration

To: "Brooks Bullock" <airsmyth@comcast.net>, "6-Pack List Serve"
Subject: RE: [6pack] Vibration
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:10:26 -0700
        Brooks:

        U Joints have an interesting property: When the input and output
are collinear (i.e. perfectly aligned) input velocity equals output
velocity. When there is misalignment (due to suspension compression,
frame flex, engine torque on the motor mounts, etc), input velocity DOES
NOT equal output velocity.
        A misaligned U joint will cause the output to speed up and then
slow down at a multiple of the rotational velocity (2x, I think). This
can be countered by installing ANOTHER U joint, which will cancel the
changes in velocity. If the two U joints are misaligned relative to each
other, you will get some pretty good vibrations going as they will
"fight" each other. This cannot be cured by balancing and will continue
forever unless both joints are perfectly aligned (which in practice is
impossible to achieve). This is because the shaft between the two U
joints will rapidly wind up and then unwind (like a torsion bar)
delivering some strong harmonics to the drive line which is very
noticeable, not to mention hard on bearings and what not.
        One engineering solution to this is the constant velocity joint
(CV) which is of a different construction and which delivers, you
guessed it, a constant output velocity when misaligned. These are used
in FWD vehicles because U joints result in objectionable vibration when
turning. As you also probably guessed, they are bulkier and more
expensive and therefore are only used where necessary.

        Cheers,

        Vance