[6pack] Vibration

To: 6-Pack List Serve <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Vibration
From: Rick Norris <rnorris1@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:54:53 -0500
Last fall, I had a cracked diff mount repaired. Because the welder's
shop was next door to a front end/undercarriage repair shop, I elected
to let them work together and have all the U-joints replaced at the same
time as the diff mounts were repaired. After the repair, I drove the car
home and parked it as I continued to deal with
carburetor/ignition/timing issues. Having resolved most of that, I
recently took the TR for a spin and noted that at around 50mph I began
to feel a vibration. At 55mph or greater, the vibration becomes
something like a hum and the it can be felt most prominently  through
the shift lever.

Suspecting perhaps a bent rear wheel flange, I pulled the rear hubs and
checked the run out by placing a straight-edge against the backing plate
and watching the hub as it rotates. Neither hub seemed to wobble. That
leaves the drive shaft u-joints as possible problems points. My
question: how likely is it that the shop guys might have done something
and how can I inspect the shaft joints without having to pull it? Or,
should I just pull it?

Rick Norris
Ponca City, OK

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rnorris1.vcf]