RE: [6pack] Type 16P caliper rebuild?

To: "John Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Type 16P caliper rebuild?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:27:56 -0700
        John:

        There is a lip on the dust seal that is supposed to go into a
groove cut inside the piston bore before the piston is inserted. Once
the piston is inserted, it prevents the lip from being pulled out of the
mating groove.
        There is also a groove on the open end of the piston, where the
dust seal seats on the piston.

        After looking at this arrangement, I can see why they went to
the later style seal. Much easier to install the later dust seals that
the earlier ones.

        I have attached a picture showing the installation of the
earlier seals. It will be stripped for people on the list of course, but
it should arrive intact in your message.

    Look carefully, and you will see that the 16P has an internal groove
in the bore for the dust seal to fit into before the piston is inserted.

    Cheers,

        Vance