RE: [6pack] Neg Battery Cable

To: Andrew Packard <apackard68@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Neg Battery Cable
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 09:42:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 2 May 2007, Andrew Packard wrote:

> My battery is only grounded to the bolt holding the rear engine hoist loop
> to the block.  How does the factory cable do both?  Is this a TR6 only
> thing?  Mine is a 250.

First off, I know absolutely nothing about TR250 other than the usual
stuff. My comment was based on TR6 experience. Lots of TR6 experience.

The factory ground cable is non-insulated, braided wire. It connects to
the battery in the usual way. From there it terminates to the rear engine
plate via one of the tranny mounting bolts. Just above that mount, there
should be a wire clamp around the braid and the clamp bolts to the
firewall, thereby grounding the body.

The TRF replacement cable has all the right bits to do it right. I cannot
speak for others, I've no direct exposure to them.

Trust me - don't forget this connection or you'll have electrical
problems. Most of them will be dim lights, but you could see some wierd
stuff. The juice will find ground any way it can. Some folks call the
results "gremlins".

> Andy
> CD6746L TO

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489