Re: [6pack] Neg Battery Cable

To: Mark <whitetr6@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Neg Battery Cable
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 14:15:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 2 May 2007, Mark wrote:

> My new battery has the terminals positioned closer to the back side
> than the previous battery had, meaning the cables have to reach a
> little further. No problem on the positive side, but the neg ground
> cable is too short (it appears to be original, so if I just order a
> replacement from TRF or whoever, I expect it to be the same length). I
> have no concerns about strict originality - I just like good reliable
> parts. Do I just need to find a longer ground cable at my local auto
> parts store, or is there some spec I have to make sure of (e.g.
> gauge)? Is the braided design also important?

At the risk of stating the obvious - have you considered installing the
proper battery?

That said, if you want to go to a generic battery cable, make absolutely
certain that you ground both the engine block AND the body as the factory
ground cable does. Other than that, there's no rocket science involved.

> Thanks,
> Mark
> 76 TR6
> CF53032UO

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489