Re: [6pack] TR6 stopping distance

To: "Ed Bratt" <bratt@sasktel.net>, <Vsnively@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 stopping distance
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 08:32:38 +0100
Ed Bratt wrote:
> I think TR6 stopping distances are a well kept secret.   I do not rememer
> seeing a stopping distance given, ever.  The Brits do not give stopping
> much
> attention.  They seem to sum things up as being "adequate" and forget
> about
> them.

Sorry Ed - but it's far more complex than that. In the first instance, I'd
draw your attention to www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#105 where you'll see
*typical* braking distances. These figures (or better than) are used for the
written part of our driving test and also our annual Department of Transport
braking tests on a rolling road. The bottom line here is that ANY vehicle
being submitted for test, regardless of age, has to meet or better these
criteria. Of course, these distances assume a dry road with tyres and all
brakes in full working order! Others in the EU more knowledgeable than I
will confirm the repeatability of these distances being met.

In terms of the Brits "summing things up as being adequate," I would
entirely disagree. You can't sell a vehicle in any market unless and until
that vehicle model meets the Construction and Use laws prevailing in that
target market for a pre-defined period. This was certainly the case from
1968 onwards when cars destined for the North American market had to meet
newly established Federal Safety Standards, which standards were likely and
often did change from year to year. Now of course, Canada was outside the
*legal* scope of the FSS but as you'll be aware, cars sold in Canada broadly
met the same regs as for the US - e.g. Canada didn't get the injection
system on TR's either.

Why were braking standards not published or stated in the vehicle handbook?
I suspect because in the litigious age in which we live now - and did then
as well, some bod was bound to try to check braking systems with unsuitable
equipment or insufficient knowledge or both - and having discovered a
discrepancy might sue the importer and/or dealer. This was a real fear
shared by all UK manufacturers and the data available was not in the public
domain. All that to one side, I think I'm correct in saying that if you have
a copy of a reputable road-test of the time from say Road & Track or Autocar
or Motor, you'll find those braking distances shown. Amazon sells a
compilation book.

Jonmac