Re: [6pack] TR6 stopping distance

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 stopping distance
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 10:52:08 -0600
Robert:

I recall the articles about Toyota rear brakes and larger rear cylinders,
but if my memory is right, the improvements were expressed in % increase,
and no data was given in feet.  Possibly the original article had tables
showing the distances that did not appear in the online version which I
read.

The reason I commented about the Brits not giving stopping distances is that
I have read  numerous articles including road tests that did not give any
measurement of stopping distances.  One test I recall was a comparison of
performance of an  MGC and TR6, in which breaking was tested.  There was no
stopping distances given for either.  Just a comment about them being equal.

None of the online TR6 specification sheets I have seen even hint at
stopping distances.  I was reading some a few weeks back, when a friend had
asked about his 1970 TR6.  His older TR6 turned out to be over 200 lbs
lighter than mine, a 1976 model, and probably had a slightly better
acceleration time, and possibly shorter stopping distance as a result,
however, stopping distances were absent from all the data I found.

There were in fact two different diameters of TR6 rear brake cylinders
fitted.  The rear brake cylinders in only the 1976 models were .75 inch.
All previous year models used .70 rear brake cylinders.

The Roadster Factory catalogue states that the .75 diameter cylinders are no
longer available as replacements.  Rather a shame they chose to reproduce
the smaller ones rather than the .75.

Ed Bratt
Regina, Saskatchewan

1976 TR6