RE: [6pack] Carb ignition?

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Carb ignition?
From: "Rudnicki, Steve" <Steve.Rudnicki@gdcanada.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 08:16:58 -0400
Vance,

When I pulled my valve cover I found that #2 cylinder exhaust valve
lifting rod had disengaged from the rocker...hence the cylinder was
exhausting via the inlet port producing the backflow form the carb.

Last year I had adjusted the valve lash to .012" as I'm running a
road/rally cam, and fitted hotter plugs.   The plugs were rather oily
and fouled.  I'm wondering if all this led to my pinking issue which led
to my lifting rod skipping out of its adjuster.

The rod looks straight so I'll button it all down again and set the lash
back to spec.  I'll replace the plugs (again back to spec) and set the
timing.

I'm hoping my cam lobe and follower are not beat up - I don't really
want to lift the head to have a look.  I might try measuring the lift to
look for a reduction in the lobe.  I'm also wondering about the head
gasket given I had no functioning exhaust port...I've done a compression
test and 1 & 6 are significantly higher than the rest (30 PSI delta)
which is a big change from the last time when we were all within spec.

Cheers,

Steve