Re: AE Pistons

To: John North <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: AE Pistons
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:28:21 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, John North wrote:

> Anyone know anything about AE pistons?

Beside County, they're about the only new cast pstons that you can source
for TR6. There used to be more "brands" out there, but theyy all got
snarfed up in the 90's. If you can wait, find a set of Hepolite pistons.
My expereience with those was AWESOME. I purchased sets of the Hepolites
that all weighed in at within 1 gram of each other. That's pretty good and
NOT typical for piston sets bought on price criteria.

> I have seen several places selling AE pistons.   TRF sells these, I
> believe and I also see them at Advanced performance Technology and on
> eBay.   Rimmers sells AE Hepolites, not sure if these are the same.
> Some places give a CR for example, 7.7-1 or 8.5-1.   Not sure what
> this indicates...   Are they adequate only for up to these CRs or does
> this indicate the usual application and I could expect them to be
> adequate for higher CRs?   I am putting together and engine and
> shooting for 9.5-1.

You can run up to 10:1 on cast pistons.  If you get above that, you need
to think about forged pistons. In that arena, the choices are somewhat
limited - Venolia and  JE. But the last time I tried talking with Venolia,
they wanted $$$ to make a set and they needed a piston to take
measurements from. JE wasn't cheap ($120 per piston with a 4130 pin), but
the quality was very high.

For a street car - do not run forged pistons unless you like to warm the
car up before you drive. The "piston slap" when cold is annoying to most
casual car folks. I don't mind it 'cause I run my motors at closer to
12:1.

:-)

But AE is what you're gonna get unless you go with County. Remember, by
aftermarket standards, TR6's 2.94" bore is TINY and the unit volume is
extremely low. So, you're not going to get a set of pistons for cheap
money. Those days are over.

> Any help appreciated.
>
> John North

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489