Re: Throw out bearing sleeve

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Throw out bearing sleeve
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:25:35 -0800
 James----It's true that the earlier Triumphs were fitted with hardware
to pull the SC pushrod back. It was adjustable. The TR Six came with a
hydraulic takeup, which did away with any adjustments. The "spring" was
light, and inside the SC. All was fine, until the aftermarket bearing
manufacturer's quality control became lax. Along with material issues,
clutch dust would get into the bearing thru the large openings and
destroy it. I don't know if the better bearings now available can be
called "sealed", but they certainly have better "shields". None of the
factory grease has spun out on any of the used ones that I've viewed.

Dick

From: JAR7U@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu(Ruffner, James A *HS) Date:
Tue, Feb 28, 2006,

Throw out bearing sleeve
I don't know for sure on the 6es (I'll have to check my manual) but on
the -3s and -4s there was a return spring such that the pushrod/slave
system were withdrawn so that the T/O bearing was not in contact with
the clutch release fingers/diaphragm. Thus once the clutch pedal was all
the way up the T/O bearing stopped spinning. There should have been no
whining or chirping. Any bearing that is continuously spinning without a
way of refreshing the lubrication will wear pretty fast. The old style
"sealed" bearing will eventually throw all the lubricant out....

....So I would assume that the new T/O bearings on the TRs would do just
fine if they continue to spin.
Cheers.