Re: Gearbox extension housing question

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox extension housing question
From: Jay Snable <jsnable@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:11:08 -0800
Hi Cary,

I ended up making a puller as described by Nelson Reidel. I have
attached part of his article (removed for 6pack list, but text below)
describing the tool. Otherwise, I understand a large hammer is
typically used... If you live in the San Francisco area I'd be happy
to loan you what I welded up...

The next step (#12) is to remove the bolts and then (#13) withdraw
the extension housing --- like its ready to fall off.  I dont know
whom theyre trying to kid; removing the extension requires that the
rear bearing slide off the main shaft ---- not likely since the
bearing is a force fit on the shaft.  One method is to use a big
hammer and try to pound the extension off.  Big hammers and gears and
bearings dont mix well.  I instead made an Extension Removal Tool by
welding = inch bolts perpendicular to the end of two threaded rods;
making a center by turning a point on a 3/8 inch bolt; and drilling
some holes in a = inch steel plate.   The next photo shows the tool
in use.    The extension comes off easily as the nuts are tightened.

Jay
'73 TR6