J-type OD questions....

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: J-type OD questions....
From: "Marc Nederkoorn" <adsl709847@tiscali.nl>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:19:03 +0100
Vance and listers,

I took apart the 2nd OD. This one, off a Volvo, looks much better and will
be the one I will use. Some questions though:

Vance explains in his write-up (see his website) that a different Speedo
pinnion gear  to match the Volvo speedo gear might be sufficient to
'recalibrate' the speedo. I am affraid this is only true for the post
CF35.000 TR6's. AFAIK Volvo used a 6-start speedo gear, post CF35.000 have a
7-start and all CF TR6's before that used the 8-start?

I am curious what the number on Vance's speedo is (input shaft turns, bottom
of scale)?

(The difference between a 6- and a 8-start is too much, there is no such
thing as a15 tooth speedo pinion gear; possibilities are listed here, incl.
other OD parts: http://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/spare_order_3.html)

Did all Volvo J-type's use the 6-start speedo gear?

And for the output flange: I 'think' I have the long Volvo flange. The holes
do line up with the driving shaft flange. However, not perfectly. I would
think there should be no difference?

I happen to have a real Triumph flange also, it does however need quite a
bit of tydiing up (sandblast, polish, paint,...).

I hope the combined wisdom can shed some light, it will help me compose a
shopping list!

(And an interesting one: after disassembly of the 2nd OD I found a little
spring and a ball on the garage floor. I am very puzzled: It looks like OD
parts but I did not drop anything, nor do I miss anything according to the
exploded view and Nelson's write-up????? The Volvo OD's innards are somewhat
different by the way. Should I lose any sleep over it...oh well, can wait
'till assembly of the OD with loosing sleep!)

Regards to all,

Marc
'74 TR6 (CF 208..) & OD apprentice