RE: J-type OD questions....

To: "Marc Nederkoorn" <adsl709847@tiscali.nl>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J-type OD questions....
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:21:33 -0800
        Marc:

        My speedo is an 1120 speedo, and I think that means 1120
revolutions per mile(?)

        I think you are mixing up the drive gear and the pinion gear for
the speedo in my article. The 6 start gear is the DRIVE gear. The
smaller gear that drives the cable is the PINION gear. The standard
Volvo PINION is 21 tooth. The standard TR6 PINION is 20 (?) tooth. I
switched to an 18 tooth spitfire PINION gear.

        Let's do a little math.

        Since later TR6s used a seven start drive gear, and Volvo used a
6 start, then the speedo will read 6/7 x 100 = 85.7% of normal, or about
15% low which is exactly what I measured with highway mileage markers
and a stopwatch (Using the Volvo 21 tooth pinion gear).
        To correct the low speedo readings, I went to a spitfire 18
tooth pinion gear, so the new speedo reading becomes:

        (6/7) * (21/18) = 100%, which means that the speedo is now
accurate.

        Marc, if you have an 1120 speedometer, and a 6 start speedo
drive gear, then use the spitfire overdrive 18 tooth pinion gear and
your speedometer will be correct.

        Cheers,

        Vance