Fwd: Re: Concours Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Concours Question
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:28:49 -0800 (PST)
This is Jonmac's take on the current state on concours events. I think he has a
good point. Several, in fact.

  Jim

    From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>,
<6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Concours Question
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:50:15 -0000

(snip)

Jim, this is why I can't get excited about 'concours.' From what I perceive,
it's broadly the person who can turn out the best looking car - having
toothbrushed the tyre treads and cotton budded around the valve gear - when
the full term of "Concours d'Elegance" seems entirely by-passed for what it
used to represent. The Concours always followed a major motoring event and was
not only to parade the cars that actually finished the event itself but
as scratch and dent-free as possible.

  These days with Works Teams who seem to take thirty spare engines and ive
replacement bodies with them to use during the event, it would appear that
no-one gives a damn whether the *original* car or grand-dad's axe is the one
that goes on show. Twenty plus years ago when I visited the US regularly, I
visited a number of meetings where 'concours' cars were put on show and all of
them claiming to be factory original in terms of appearance. As many of them
were MG's, Triumphs or Jaguars (and having worked for all those companies
myself) the level of finish and presentation far exceeded the appearance of the
cars when new - ergo they were not factory lookalikes.

  Today, I tend to avoid Concours displays at all UK Club meetings. The
majority are really nothing more (to my mind) than an opportunity for the more
financially well-heeled members to display how much money they have spent on
their cars - and to hell with everyone else. Is it the same in the US?

Rant off

Jonmac

Jim Jones
'72 Emerald