RE: Miata Seats in a TR6

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Miata Seats in a TR6
From: "John Dombey" <JDombey@dotcast.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:29:02 -0700
Jim,

I've put tan leather seats from a 2000 miata in my 6 - no headrest
speakers were available after '97 or '98 (I think), but the deal was too
good to pass up.  Installing them wasn't hard - I made a set of adapter
plates from steel bar stock (either 3/16x2 or 1/4x2 - I don't really
remember) to mate the stock TR6 floor holes to the miata slides.  There
are a couple of pieces that need to be removed from the slides - a
locating dowel and a seatbelt mount, and I seem to remember bending a
flange so it would sit flat.  Other than that it's a bolt-in job.  You
do end up sitting just a little higher than with the TR6 seats, but that
may be partially due to the original seats sagging a bit - I'm not sure.
The seats are very comfortable, and more adjustable than the originals
(at least for '69 - no adjustable back), and fit nicely style-wise.

One of these days I'm going to see if they'll fit the TR8...

John Dombey
'69 TR6
'81 TR8