Re: Engine runs but overheats

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine runs but overheats
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:22:13 -0700
 John---Try it again, but this time leave off the radiator cap to burp
out any residual air that may still be trapped. Also open up the heater
valve, and run the engine long enough for the thermostat to open up.
Absence of bubbles coming into the top of the radiator should tell you
when you have succeeded

Dick

John M. wrote:
        I just ran my new engine for the first time to
break in the cam and it really sounds healthy:)   Only problem is that
the temperature gauge was heading toward real hot, so I shut it down.
  I noticed the upper radiator hose was hot, but not the lowers or the
hoses running through the manifold. Would this indicate a bad thermostat
or possibly a defective water pump? I reused the old pump as it only had
a few hundred miles on it. I also noticed that as it cooled off, I was
able to add the last 2 quarts of water, so now Im wondering if maybe
there was an air bubble? Where do I start looking or do I just try it
again tomorrow? Thanks for any help. John Mitchell 76 TR6