Engine runs but overheats

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Engine runs but overheats
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:49:06 -0400
    I just ran my new engine for the first time to break in the cam and
it really sounds healthy:)   Only problem is that the temperature gauge
was heading toward real hot, so I shut it down.   I noticed the upper
radiator hose was hot, but not the lowers or the hoses running through
the manifold.  Would this indicate a bad thermostat or possibly a
defective water pump?  I reused the old pump as it only had a few
hundred miles on it.  I also noticed that as it cooled off, I was able
to add the last 2 quarts of water, so now Im wondering if maybe there
was an air bubble?  Where do I start looking or do I just try it again
tomorrow?  Thanks for any help.  John Mitchell  76 TR6