RE: Ground cable strap

To: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>, "6pack"
Subject: RE: Ground cable strap
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:51:36 -0400
I don't know if the ground cable changed over the years but I have seen
two flavors. One is the single braided cable that goes from the battery
negative terminal to the block (one of the bolts on the rear lifting
eye, or one of the gearbox bolts on the driver side seem popular) and
then continues across to the bulkhead. I have also seen dual cables from
the negative terminal, one that goes to the block and the other that
goes to the bulkhead. I think the single braided cable looks better.

My 74.5 has the dual cable but there is evidence (duct tape) that this
is not original. I have a new braided cable waiting for installation.

Stan

<snip>
I was reading one of the tech articles by Len Renkenberger in the 6-pack
webpage about battery ground cables.  The
article says:

"You should find a braided ground cable strap on the left rear corner of
your engine which also bolts to the firewall
with the same bolt as the battery ground strap."

Maybe a stupid question here, but when he says "left rear corner," is
that the driver's side corner? I wasn't sure if he
was meaning while standing behind or in front of the engine.  And is
that connection on the top side or bottom of the
engine?  I'm just curious because looking at my engine, I see nothing
that looks like a ground between the engine and
the firewall.

John V.
74 1/2
CF28149