Re: Clutch MC Rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch MC Rebuild
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:40:05 -0700
Aaron--- Difficulty in shifting the gearbox, could be either a clutch
disengagement problem, or the box itself. Doing the easy things first,
see if there are any leaks at the MC (check inside at the pedal box) or
the SC.pushrod.  (It may take a while to show up, unless you pump the
pedal many times)
If neither leaks, the problem is elsewhere*. More precisely, the clutch
should disengage when available fluid is in the reservoir, even if
either one leaks a little.
Check for pitting or deep scratches in the bores, if leaks are seen.
Hone out before replacing any seals, or the new seals won't do the job.

The grayish slurry that appears in the reservoir fluid is common, and
believed to be part of the seal deterioration. This can occur long
before the seal allows fluid to leak out, tho.

*Elsewhere depends on where the clutch  disengagement point is in the
pedal stroke. If this is now "at the floor" then the problem is more
likely clutch operation related, than gearbox. Before going down this
beaten path, you'll need to gather more information.

Dick

Aaron wrote:
Hi List,
Since I have been through about everything else in the car except the
clutch MC and slave cylinder
and I am having a little more difficulty shifting the gearbox
 I am wondering about the experience of the list in rebuilding these
components. When my brake MC started leaking I tried first to rebuild it
with absolutely no success. Granted my MC was pitted below the tipping
valve and I am sure that was causing my problem I still wonder if people
have had success with rebuilding or if it is just throwing away good
money on nothing. I realize that my shifting problem may not be related
to the clutch MC and slave cylinder but a OD conversion is in the works
in the not too distant future so I am not as concerned about that as a
source of the problem. Also, it looks as though at least one of the
seals in the MC is deteriorating since the fluid is cloudy and the level
was down about a half inch.

Your thoughts and advice ARE greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Aaron
Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)