Re; Squeaky tach

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re; Squeaky tach
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:13:19 -0700
Phil---You may get away with just greasing the inner cable to the tach.
Take the knurled nut loose at the back of the unit, drop this cable low
enough to where you can pull it out from under the dash. Rub in some
Lubriplate, or even wheel bearing grease, and re-insert. Better to not
grease the last foot or so on the cable. There will be enough transfer
from the re-insertion to cover this end.
Twist the inner cable to be sure it has found home in the square tach
drive. Reattach to the tach.

In the unlikely event that the squeak is at the distributor drive gear,
know that there is a cover on this drive that can be removed and some
light grease can be placed under this cup/cover.

Try to keep sharp bends from happening between the tach and the
distbutor. The big culprit here is usually when the distributor is set
too far, clockwise.

If the tach cable sheath is worn out from the inside, the greasing will
be a temporary solution at best. New ones are about $15 and I always
grease them before installing.

Dick

Phil wrote:
This weekend my tachometer started squeaking. At times it was simply a
faint squeak that would increase or decrease in frequency as the engine
RPMs changed. Other times it got really loud to the point of being able
to hear it while driving down the road at 45 MPH with the top down.
Is it possible that this is just the tach cable squeaking or am I
looking at a gauge rebuild this winter?
If I need to get the gauge rebuilt, any suggestions on where to have
that done?
Phil Beckman
73 TR6
Libertyville, IL