VIN #/engine # match?

To: <glccrc@ptd.net>
Subject: VIN #/engine # match?
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:41:31 -0400
Hi George,

I too have a '70 TR6.  My commission number is CC52927LO, while my engine
number is CC53226E.  My engine is the original "numbers matching" engine for
the car.  I have the Heritage Certificate and my WPO (Wonderful Previous
Owner) recorded it in the original service ticket booklet. You can obtain
the Certificate here:
http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive/certificate/default.htm

As other have said, Triumph did not attempt to match major sub-assembly
numbers (engine, transmission, body, etc) with the commission numbers.

As fas as origninality and value are concerned - the Triumph crowd seems
much less hung up about "numbers matching" and "date codes" than the MOPAR
crowd. However, depending on why you bought you car, originality may command
a premium for you. Because my car has this provinance, I feel a certain
responsibility to maintain its stock configuration as far as possible (Okay,
I am putting a Gunst bearing in it, so shoot me - you won't see it anyway).
If my car did not have matching numbers, I would be more inclined to
modifications.  Disclaimer: These are my personal preferences only and are
not meant to apply to anybody else!

As regards the overdrive - the A-Type overdrive would have been installed in
a 1970 as opposed to the J-Type.  However, I certainly think you can install
a J-Type in a 70, if the frame has been modified with the right mount (Js &
Ashave different mounts) and possibly different engine mounting plates - not
sure about this one.

Reagrds,
John Cyg.