RE: Overdrive won't disengage

To: "Campsmith, Michael" <mgc4@cdc.gov>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Overdrive won't disengage
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:07:09 -0700
        Michael:

        If you have a warranty, use it by all means. Don't touch
anything
and have the shop that did the work look at it first.
        It sounds as though the electricals are fine, except perhaps the
solenoid. A little more testing should clear that point up. If the
solenoid
is in fact clicking, but the car will not roll backwards, then the
solenoid
is fine and the OD itself is buggered. Then the question becomes "why?"
and
you start to check things like fluid, etc. If you can't hear the
solenoid,
then of course it becomes the prime suspect. Mine is clearly audible if
the
engine is not running.
        If you do decide to clean the filters, they are in the OD
sump, which is on the bottom of the OD, and held in place by 6(?)
bolts. It is very easy to remove and inspect, except that the exhaust
pipes
are in the way! Dropping the exhaust pipes is not too big a deal, but
it is annoying that they are in the way. There is a magnet glued into
the sump, and if something has died there will be swarf sticking to
the magnet.
        Replacing the solenoid is easy, and can be done with out
removing
anything. The only hitch is that you need a very thin wrench to slip
between the solenoid and the body of the OD to loosen the solenoid. I
don't recall the size....
        The OD is a good investment. It adds about $1000 to the value of

the car. Course, if everyone adds OD to there car like you and I, then
I guess they aren't worth anything!

        Vance