Overdrive won't disengage

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive won't disengage
From: "Campsmith, Michael" <mgc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:59:46 -0400
Sorry to bomb the list, but I'm not sure my first posting went through.

I have the opposite problem from a previous posting by Al Salvatore--my
OD won't disengage.  Over the course of a 3,000 mile trip last week I
had progressively more trouble getting the J-type OD on my 1974 TR6 to
switch out of OD.  Toward the end of the trip it wouldn't kick out at
all.  Unfortunately I forgot about this on a few occasions when pulling
into rest stop spaces--and when I put the car in reverse there was a
tremendous clunk as something in the gearbox finally freed up.  Now the
car is home in the garage, but I have no idea about how to get the OD to
actually disengage. I hesitate to put it in reverse because I'm afraid
of breaking something, but need to get it down the driveway in order to
drive it forward.

My thoughts were to jack up the car and run it through the gears with
the rear wheels off the ground in order to get into 3rd to try the OD
switch.  Another option is to put the rear wheels on dollies and push it
backward into the street with the rear wheels off the ground until I can
drive it forward.

Any thoughts on what makes an OD stick when it is engaged? Any
solutions? I am running 90wt gear oil in the trans and OD that have less
than 3,500 miles since rebuild.

Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6--now BRG