RE: Electronic ignition systems for TR6

To: "'Shawn J. Loseke'" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>,
Subject: RE: Electronic ignition systems for TR6
From: "Michael T. Altomare" <maltomar@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:29:41 -0400
I converted a 4-cyl Mallory Unilite distributor that I had in my Spitfire
(same one for MGB & TR7) to a 6-cyl unit by changing the rotor/shutter and
the cap ($30), put it in my son's TR6 along with a Mallory ballast and a
sport coil, and opened up the sparkplug gap to 0.035".  The Mallory dropped
right in and worked perfectly, but we lost the tach as the distributor did
not have the cable drive.  We later refinished the instrument panel and sent
the instruments to Palo Alto Speedometer for refurb and had them convert the
tach to electronic.  We've had no problems in 4 or 5 years with this set-up.

Michael Altomare
Georgia Triumph Association
'74 TR6 & '77 Spitfire