Re: P205/70R15 tire psi

To: Greg Perry <rgperry@earthlink.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: P205/70R15 tire psi
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:04:16 +0000
-------------- Original message from Greg Perry--------------

> Hello,
>
> What tire psi for the front and rear for P205/70R15 tires are recommended for
>street driving/ daily driver with stock suspension and wheels? I will run a
>maximum of 80 mph on the highway.
>
> Does one use the maximum load pressure of 20 psi front and 24 psi rear?

I always have wondered what TRiumph engineers were thinking when they made the
20 front 24 rear tire pressure recommendations. The only rationale that I can
think of is that they wanted the car to understeer, or lose grip at the front
first when cornering, as many people are more comfortable with that than with a
car that gets loose in the rear first. Even when my car was new and on the
original Michelin X redlines, I always ran higher pressures than recommended. I
expect that you will receive numerous responses to this question, as tire
pressures are one of those personal preference sort of thing.
In my case, I find that 28 psi all around gives me a nice compromise between
ride and handling during "normal" street driving. My car has 205/60x15 tires on
7" rims, and hd springs and shocks all around, so my recommendation is suspect
to those of you with more stock setups. Like I said, it is a personal
preference thing.
HTH some, but it probably doesn't.
;-)
Irv Korey