RE: P205/70R15 tire psi

To: "Greg Perry" <rgperry@earthlink.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: P205/70R15 tire psi
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:45:59 -0700
        Greg:

        The tire pressure is specified to give the correct sized contact
patch under each tire. The pressure depends on the weight of the
vehicle, the size of the tire, and load.
        205/70-R15 are 20 mm wider than stock (stock 185-15 tires would
be about 185/80-R15), so all other things being equal they will have a
wider contact patch.
        At the stock tire pressure, the contact patch will be wider and
shorter than the original since the vehicle weight has not changed (i.e.
the area of the contact will remain the same). If you increase the tire
pressure, the contact patch will diminish in size, which is probably not
what you want.
        I would suggest for starters that you begin with the original
recommended tire pressure, as this will give the correct size contact
(at least the originally specified contact patch). All IMHO, of course.

        Vance