Re: Rebuilt Lucas alternator or upgrade?

To: jvannorman@wowway.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rebuilt Lucas alternator or upgrade?
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:50:27 -0400
John,

I suspect you will get many opinions on this topic.  There are many
different routes you can take.  I will outline the one that I took.

When I purchased my car I too had the ignition light that was lit.  I
cant recall if it got brighter or dimmer or stayed the same under load.
  I did take mine to my local NAPA store and they confirmed that the
alt. was bad.  I decided on a GM replacement.  I wasnt concerned with
authenticity.  There are no concours competitions for my car.  Part of
my decision to bypass the stock Lucas alternator was the price.  The GM
alt, even with the added core charge was cheaper than a new or rebuilt
stock Lucas.  I also wanted to increase the output.  I have a modern
stereo with no additional amps, halogen headlights and not much else.
It is nice to be able to run everything on the car and have the alt.
keep up.  I figured out a way to mount the alt so I didnt need to
modify the GM alt. from its stock appearance.  If this is something you
might be interested in then let me know and I can email  you a copy of
the write-up I did for the installation.

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)