Rebuilt Lucas alternator or upgrade?

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilt Lucas alternator or upgrade?
From: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:02:15 -0500
Just wondering what opinion others have.  I believe that my alternator on my 74
1/2 TR6 is dying out on me (ignition
light glows ever so dimly under normal use, brighter when there is a heavier
electrical load - i.e., lights, fan, turn
signals, etc. on - with a corresponding dip on the voltmeter).  I need to take
it to have it tested (and if anyone has
any thoughts on what the problem might be, feel free to share them), but if it
does turn out to be a problem with the
alternator, should I purchase a rebuilt Lucas or should I go with the
Bosch/Delco route?  Part of me thinks that the
increased output on the Bosch or Delco would be good.  But in terms of added
electrical load, the only things that I
know that I will be adding in the future are the Pertronix ignition conversion
(with new ignition coil), a basic car
stereo (i.e., no external amp), and maybe halogen lamp kits.

Since I'm a relative newbie (although learning fast thanks to you guys), the
rebuilt Lucas is attractive if only for the
ease in replacing the unit with the minimum amount of potential problems.
Likewise, if I upgrade, based on what I have
read in the 6-pack archives, the Bosch route seems to be more attractive since
it appears it is the easier of the two to
fit to the TR6.

John V.
1974 1/2 TR6
CF28149