RE: Door openings

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Door openings
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:53:46 -0700
 John:

        You will not be able to tap the fender rearward if the
undercoating is intact. It effectively glues the fender in place.
        If you are willing to separate the fender from the body to break
the seal of the undercoating, then there is some leeway in positioning
the fender. I had a similar issue on my car, and it turned out that one
of the slots in the fender was not quite long enough to permit the
fender the move rearward enough to suit me. I dremeled the slot a little
longer, and all is well now. But it took some fussing to make it work. I
did this after the car had been stripped and painted, so it was slow
going to make sure I didn't ding the paint.
        The slot in question on my car it the topmost, rearmost slot in
the fender, the one that engages a bolt on the A pillar, where
windscreen attaches to the tub. You can see the bolt if you open the
driver door and look at the top, rear edge of the fender. I had to
remove the fender to lengthen the slot. It only took about 1/8" more
length.

        Vance