Door openings

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door openings
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:48:02 -0400
     Ok, this questions takes some explaining.  Last my Tr6 rolled
backwards down a hill and the drivers door, which was open caught on a
shrub, broke the check strap and folded against the front fender.  The
front fender was pulled out, and a new door installed.  The gaps now are
larger on the drivers door, even though the new door measures the same
or even slightly larger than the old door.  I measured the openings,
both sides, and the drivers side appear to be about an eighth inch wider.
     Could the front fender have moved slightly forward, though I cant
really see signs of that around the bolts.  Measuring the end of the
fender to the end of the plenum section it would seem the left fender is
slightly forward.  Can the bolts be simply loosened and the fender
tapped back or will this destroy my paint work.  Should the hood be
installed before doing this to see how that aligns.  I was hoping that
putting the engine and transmission back in would flex things enough to
help, but its definitely wider than before.  Any insight would be
greatly appreciated.  John Mitchell  76 TR6