Re: Rebush Front suspension

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rebush Front suspension
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:19:56 -0500
on 2/23/05 5:03 PM, Navarrette, Vance at vance.navarrette@intel.com wrote:

> My
> experience with modifying car engines and suspensions is that
> satisfaction with a particular mod is highly dependant on the individual
> tastes.
Of course, that is mostly what we express on this list, our opinions. In my
opinion, the ride is not harsh. Better?

> My experience with urethane bushings is that there *IS* a
> noticeable increase in harshness (in my case, it was replacing the rear
> swing arm bushings with urethane), and they *DO* squeak unless special
> measures are taken. I have ridden in other's cars with urethane
> bushings, and when I ask them about the squeaks I hear they invariably
> say something like "It never squeaked before", somehow implying it's my
> fault. For the record, I went back to rubber bushings in my swing arms
> after about 6 months.
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with urethane, but my Nylatron
does not squeak. You are welcome to take a ride. I'm sure that it won't
squeak for you either.

> Likewise with camshafts. In my Z28, I consulted numerous people
> on the Camaro mailing list as to what would be a good street cam for an
> automatic transmission. An overwhelming response was for a particular
> cam. Only one person expressed reservations about it's suitability for
> street use with an automatic.
> Well, no sooner did the cam go in than the car began to
> occasionally stall in reverse. The idle was so rough that the car would
> shake at idle whenever I would wait for stop light. Etc... Writing back
> to the list with these complaints, I got a bunch of replies like "Oh,
> SURE it shakes, but I don't mind..." or "Mine stalls in reverse too, so
> I just feather the throttle a bit and then it almost never happens..."
> You get the idea.
I also owned a Camaro, so I won't even go here...

> So, more food for thought on the TR6 Nylatron bushings vs.
> urethane vs. rubber: Try someone else's car with the modifications
> BEFORE you go to the trouble of converting your car over to the latest
> whiz-bang suspension mod. You may find that despite some hearty
> endorsements, it is not to your liking and you will end up doing it
> over. And be realistic - little annoyances have a way of becoming big
> annoyances over time. So if you aren't sure if it is to your liking,
> realize that "minor annoyance" may well turn into loathing in 3-4
> months.
Good idea for any big mods.

> To those of you who love urethane/Nylatron/aluminum bushings, go
> for it! Choice in life is a terrific thing and I am glad you have found
> the right combination for your tastes. To the rest of you, proceed
> cautiously - there are lots of ways to bugger things up pretty good. I
> should know, 'cause I have done more than my share of buggering.
Not sure I'd call choosing the wrong bushings "buggering". Sure, you are out
a bit of cash, but it's not that hard to swap out the bushings.

Peter
'68 TR250