Re: Rebush Front suspension

To: Bruce Moxon <bamxn@triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Rebush Front suspension
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:39:49 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Bruce Moxon wrote:

> I need to redbush my front end and would like some input from the group. TRF
> has 3 different kits: stock rubber, performance urethane, and race quality
> nylatron with prices almost doubling from rubber to race quality (although
> price is not necessarily the driving factor here). I'm leaning towards non
> rubber and would like to know if there is a substantial benefit to the
> nylatron vs urethane and is there really a harsher ride with non rubber. Would
> appreciate recommendations.
> Thanks,
> Bruce
> TR250

I'm a big fan of urethane for a street driven car. There are different
quality levels of urethane in the market, it pays to shop around.

I do not like the new rubber parts that we get from any of the suppliers
because they don't seem to last like the originals did. I'm not sure why,
but I'm sure there's a materials scientist on this list that can explain.

Bottom line - if you get the rubber, you'll be re-doing the job again in
the future, wen in the future is open to debate. By way of reference, my
street car went through at least three sets of upper a-arm bushings in the
first 90k miles. I switched to urethane in the mid-90's and I still have
the same set installed - that's over 40k miles with some racing... okay a
lot of racing.

So, I'd go urethane.

You will get suggestions about urethane squeaking. I contend that urethane
will absolutely not squeal if installed properly.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |