RE: Are u kidding me???

To: <RazorBobSr@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Are u kidding me???
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:39:51 -0800
RazorBobSr,

According to Mr Kasner's Competition Preparation Manual, you may have milled
a wee bit too much from your cylinder head. The text from the book is as
follows:

"The cylinder head gasket, when compressed, has a volume of approximately
3.7 cc.  The finished head with valves seated should have a volume of 41.6
cc for 10.25 C.R. with zero deck clearance.  The cylinder volume for 12.3 to
1 C.R. with zero deck clearance is 33 cc." (page 14, top).

Did you actually cc the head with a burette or are you postulating the
volume based on the amount milled?  For 10.0 to 1 compression, Kasner specs
out a head surface to valve cover mating surface distance of 3.375".  The
amount to mill to get to this figure is dependent on the year of the head.
Early, higher compression heads are milled less than later, lower
compresssion heads.  If you don't havew a copy of the Comp Manual, get one
(available from TRF, TS Imported, and others).  If you have a copy, the
methodology of all this is spelled out starting on page 13.

If it turns out that you've milled too much, don't fret.  Mordy Dunst at
Gasket Works makes solid head gaskets in varying thicknesses that can
compensate for your error.  His website is at http://www.headgasket.com/ .

I have run 10.5 to 1 C.R. for the past 15 years with no top ring failures.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6