RE:Gas in sump

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Gas in sump
From: Dennis N Culligan <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:55:08 -0500
>    After trolling the archives, it appears there are at least 2 reasons
>for gas to get into the sump: 1. Stuck float valve in carb(s), or 2. Bad
>fuel pump.  If my sump is FULL of gas (ie. it's well up the dipstick), I
>guess I should assume it's the fuel pump?  I plan to drain the oil/gas
>tomorrow, I'm just wondering what I should plan on fixing afterwards.
   Thanks for all the responses.  I guess I should have mentioned
that the car has been sitting idle since early December - since the
fuel pump has NOT been pumping fuel into the carbs, and since the
carbs are substantially higher than the fuel pump, I figured that the
fuel is being fed by gravity to the fuel pump and leaking into the sump
from there (as opposed to leaking from the carbs).
    However, when I went out to the car this morning, a considerable
amount of the gas/oil misture had now leaked out (from where I can't
tell - it's tough working under a car in an unheated garage when it's
below freezing) and I also noticed the underside of the rear carb was
soaking wet (with gas).  I disconnected and plugged the gas line to the
carbs and jacked the driver's side up so I could get to the oil pan drain.
This caused a steady gas leak from the passenger side of the engine
but NOT from the carbs or the disconnected gas line (again, I couldn't
really tell where it was coming from). I went ahead and drained gallons
of gas/oil from the sump and it now appears all leaking has ceased (it
should have - the damn thing is empty!).
     I had planned to put the car in the shop soon for some other work -
looks like it may end up there sooner than expected and for longer
than expected...

Dennis Culligan /1976 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH/Highland,NY