Re: Gas in sump...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas in sump...
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:14:41 -0800
Dennis----You can of course find the problem
of where gas is getting into the sump, before taking it to the shop.
The "wet, rear carb" is the likely suspect for having a stuck float
valve.

When the gas in the tank gets down to below the half way point, fuel
should no longer be able to get to the carbs, assuming a level floor. If
the whole tank drained out, then take a closer look at the fuel pump as
the cause of the sump filling.

If you want to fill the tank again, leave out the sump drain plug and do
the search. Block off fuel to the rear carb only for part of the test.
If no fuel comes out the drain, then reconnect the line to the rear
carb, to confirm this suspicion. If fuel then comes out, I'd then remove
the bottom of this carb to examine the float valve. Chances are good
that there is something holding this needle valve open.

Flourescent lighting-type fixtures with halogen
bulbs will help warm up a cold garage a bit. I got mine at Sears.

Dick

Dennis wrote:
      Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should have
mentioned that the car has been sitting idle since early December -
since the fuel pump has NOT been pumping fuel into the carbs, and since
the carbs are substantially higher than the fuel pump, I figured that
the fuel is being fed by gravity to the fuel pump and leaking into the
sump from there (as opposed to leaking from the carbs).
        However, when I went out to the car this
morning, a considerable amount of the gas/oil misture had now leaked out
(from where I can't tell - it's tough working under a car in an unheated
garage when it's below freezing) and I also noticed the underside of the
rear carb was soaking wet (with gas). I disconnected and plugged the gas
line to the carbs and jacked the driver's side up so I could get to the
oil pan drain. This caused a steady gas leak from the passenger side of
the engine but NOT from the carbs or the disconnected gas line (again, I
couldn't really tell where it was coming from). I went ahead and drained
gallons of gas/oil from the sump and it now appears all leaking has
ceased (it should have - the damn thing is empty!).
          I had planned to put the car in the shop
soon for some other work - looks like it may end up there sooner than
expected and for longer than expected...
Dennis Culligan /1976 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH/Highland,NY