Re: Cam and Crank

To: t_r_6_1971@yahoo.ca, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cam and Crank
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:08:44 -0700
Brad, in addition to the links you got in some of your replies, I will
say that the holes on the camshaft sprocket of my 6 allow a bit of slop
that will vary the timing by at least about 2 degrees (+/- 1 degree from
the center), and theoretically you can orient the camshaft sprocket in a
number of oreintations to permit a change of 4 degrees.  I tried to
align the dots, but I found I was 2 degrees off.  Maybe this isnt enough
to worry about, but I tried to hit the nail on the head so thats when I
was concerned about the slop and measured it.   I was only able to get
within 1 degree of the published reading, which is probably ok, but I
could have been as much as 3 degrees out because of the slop.

BTW, my intake valves start opening about 18 degrees BTDC, not at TDC as
you mention.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6

Brad wrote:>

I am currently rebuilding the engine for my 1971 TR6. I am a little
confused about synchronizing the camshaft and the crankshaft. To my
understanding through reading the workshop manual, aligning the punched
dots on the two sprockets at the end of the cam and crank is what
synchronizes the cam and crank. What I mean by synchronizing is that
when the piston is at the top, the cam should be opening the valve at
that instant. To me it seems as if this would have be be very precise.
Lining up the punched dots does not seem very precise to me......this is
what is confusing me. If anyone could explain this process to me it
would be greatly appreciated.