Cam and Crank

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Cam and Crank
From: Brad Sivacoe <t_r_6_1971@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:39:33 -0500 (EST)
Hi

I am currently rebuilding the engine for my 1971 TR6. I am a little confused
about synchronizing the camshaft and the crankshaft. To my understanding
through reading the workshop manual, aligning the punched dots on the two
sprockets at the end of the cam and crank is what synchronizes the cam and
crank. What I mean by synchronizing is that when the piston is at the top, the
cam should be opening the valve at that instant. To me it seems as if this
would have be be very precise. Lining up the punched dots does not seem very
precise to me......this is what is confusing me. If anyone could explain this
process to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brad