RE: Locating 3.5" flexible hose for intake

To: "'6 Pack (E-mail)'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Locating 3.5" flexible hose for intake
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:53:08 -0700
Listers,

I've had some questions about this off list so I'll try to post the answers
here for every one's benefit.

1. Air filter housing - the early TR6 (and TR-250 I think) used a version of
the air filter housing which had two snouts at the front instead of holes
like the later cars' housings. I just replaced the housing on my car with
one from an earlier car, it's a direct bolt on. The TRF catalog should
illustrate this difference.

2. Hose - I used a generic 1-3/4 inch hose from an auto parts store. There
are lots of other options for this. Main thing is that the snouts on the
early air filter housing are 1-3/4 inch (well actually a little less than
that 1-3/4 but it's the closest generic size that matches).

3. Connection at the front air shroud - I used a pair of 1-3/4 inch aluminum
flanges from Aircraft Spruce, part number 10350-7. See
<http://www.aircraftspruce.com> for details (although their on-line catalog
seems to have no pictures). I just cut round holes in the air shroud and
used 4 stainless screws and nuts to attach (you have to drill the flanges
for these holes).

4. Rain getting into the air filter - I don't know the answer to this other
than to say that many cars seem to have a front mounted air intake so I
assume the water ingested into the filter is not a problem. Perhaps some one
with more direct knowledge of this can give a better answer.

Like I said earlier, this is mostly for looks, I doubt it has any
significant impact on performance. But then my engine is pretty stock so
it's no biggie for me.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO

l>. I can't
attest to any gains in performance, but it looks cool compared to the stock
set up. I've seen this sort of thing at car shows so obviously others are
doing the same thing. Oh, and since the pictures were taken I've added some
of the hose clamps like you see on the coolant hoses (the original wire
type).

Some more recent shots (hi-res) are at <http://members.shaw.ca/plz/TR6/> but
I'll be moving those pics to the gumbi location in a few days.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO