RE: TR6 pedal ratio, and TR250 "power bulge"

To: "'Shane Ingate'" <hottr6@hotmail.com>, 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 pedal ratio, and TR250 "power bulge"
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:22:37 -0800
        Shane:

        Boosters are needed for disk brakes. You will not find
disk brakes without boosters on any volume production car I am aware of.
        With drum brakes, the rotation of the drum "pulls" the shoe
into firmer contact and so is "self boosting" in a sense.
        There is no comparable mechanical effect for disks, so
to get any sort of decent pedal effort, you must have a boosted
system. Going to a higher leverage pedal box will reduce the
effort to a more reasonable level, but you will probably find that
the pedal travel is a good deal longer than you like.
        I suppose a racer might like this sort of setup. Less weight,
easier to modulate, less to go wrong, etc. But I am willing to bet a
donut (make mine raised chocolate frosted, please) that you won't like
it for the street. Just my SWAG.
        As for the power bulge, at one point it was needed to clear
some part of the engine, but it was retained as a styling cue after
the engine was changed and clearance was no longer needed. Don't
remember what part of the engine needed the clearance though...

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6
Cogito Ergo Zoom