Rattle in Brake Servo/Non-return valve

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rattle in Brake Servo/Non-return valve
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 06:41:07 -0800 (PST)
Folks,

It's been cold enough at night in Houston lately that
I've been forced to drive my 74 TR6 with the top up,
the windows up, and the heat on. Brrrr....;-)

But now that I'm somewhat shielded from the wind noise
and exhaust roar, I've the chance to hear all kinds of
new funny noises.

One of the most prominent seems to be coming from the
brake servo, more specifically from the non-return
valve. The noise is akin to a the sound of the ball
rattling around when shaking a can of spray paint.

Whether or not I'm stepping on the brake pedal has no
effect on the noise. It disappears with increased
engine speed, as expected due to drop in manifold
vacuum. I recently had the brake servo off to repaint
it and at the time didn't hear anything loose inside.
The brake servo seems to work fine.

Question: is this a normal (or ignorable) sound, or is
it indicative of a problem in the brake
servo/non-return valve. Reading Nelson's rebuild
instructions last night it looks like you may be able
to replace the non-return valve without disassembling
the servo???

Thanks,

William
'74 TR6