Front spring questions

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front spring questions
From: "Loriot, George" <George_Loriot@brown.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:19:59 -0500
Hi listers,

I've got a question that I need some help with, so am asking the
collective wisdom of this group. It's about front springs on my 76 TR6,
a daily driver.

I've had this about a year and a half and love it.  But after fixing up
various things, I'm now looking at the less critical stuff, and think
that my front springs are weak.  Here's the story:

The rear wheel well measures just shy of 27.5 inches from the ground
(205/70/15 tires on stock rims) as various listers have said should be
correct for stock height. But the front wheel wells measure just above
25.5 inches from the ground.  So the impression I had that the front is
sagging is correct!  The PO gave me a whole slew of invoices for parts
that had been replaced, and looking back to 1998 I see a Vicki Brit
order for stock front springs, standard rubber spacers, and standard
rubber control arm bushings.  I assume these were installed, and have
just sagged over the past 5 years.  Does that seem possible?  In any
case it looks like I need new springs.  The ride has been harsh from the
beginning (1.5 years ago is The Beginning) and I would think that weak
springs would make the ride harsh.  Couple of questions:

TRF sells stock springs and 'mild competition' springs.  Any
recommendations for which one for a daily driver?  And would urethane
spacers make a very harsh ride or just last longer than the rubber ones?
Also BPNW sells a HD spring with urethance spacers; recommendations? I
haven't checked the bushings, but would you suspect they should be
replaced as the same time?  Apparently there are 'uprated rubber'
bushings for sale as well as standard rubber and urethane; what do you
folks recommend, keeping in mind the 'daily driver'.

About spring compressor:  are these typically used to replace the spring
without having to disconnect the vertical link?  That is, do you remove
the shock, compress the spring, remove the spring plate and drop out the
compressed spring?  Or is it typically used even if you disconnect the
vertical link and lower the control arm? Bentley describes removing the
spring without a compressor, using a jack under the spring plate.  TRF
sells the compressor and I'll spring for it (pun intended) if it makes
life a lot easier.

Thanks in advance for any advice about this problem.  This list has been
great for me to learn about my LBC.

George Loriot
76 TR6
Providence, RI