RE: GUNST IS GOOD!!!

To: ralittle2@mindspring.com (R. Ashford Little II)
Subject: RE: GUNST IS GOOD!!!
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 00:34:17 -0800 (PST)
"33"  Since I've been running with the Gunst T/O bearing and bronze
carrier sleeve since last May, or nearly 8,000 miles, I will update for
those who are interested.

Those who have or had problems with some of the poor quality bearings
from other sources know that these bearings were/are known to be noisy.
They chirp, squeal, and in their final throes, give up their balls and
growl like a cement mixer. Even the better KOYO's that I have used, or
put into other TR's, never were silent running for very long. So far,
the Gunst IS silent. But let's be honest about this. It's still just a
bearing, and if your problems also include a clutch that operates too
close to the floor, or feels heavy when operating, the reason for this
is elsewhere. Hopefully, the reason will be uncovered in the process of
installing the new t/o bearing.
Most likely, there's either too much lost motion down in the pedal box,
or the fork pin bolt is loose or broken. These two subjects have been
covered enough before, so I will only add that one can review these in
the BuckeyeTriumph website.

One of the advantages in the Gunst package is that it includes a bronze
carrier sleeve. We know that bronze slides easier on steel than some
other metals, but if you lubricate the stock (steel) carrier sleeve, it
will work just fine. However, it can't have any sharpness on the back
edge, nor can its bore be so large in relation to the front cover as to
let it cock, during the clutch engagement. Either of these will cause
the "Sticky Clutch" syndrome.  If your front cover hasn't worn itself
too much undersize, like more than .003, it should be OK. (Compare its
diam. to an unworn area at the back)
The bronze carrier has dealt with both of these sticky issues, and
includes a packet of grease, for insurance purposes, I guess.

Mr. Gunst warns us to watch for worn crankshaft thrust washers. He
suggests that his bearing is stout enough to run preloaded all the time,
and includes a spring and strap for this purpose. It's easy to install,
and works as intended. I have found no excess wear (clearance) at the
thrust washers. In fact I have found no wear at all and have used this
principle even with the KOYO.... but it is an area to be checked from
time to time, no matter what clutch setup you use.

For comparison purposes, it takes 35 lb. of pressure at the clutch pedal
to disengage my B&B clutch. This can be checked with a bathroom scale
and a block of wood. Feels just right, I think.

Dick Taylor
CF11143