RE: TR-6 Carb rebuild

To: "'Patrick Bitton'" <pbitton@axess.com>,
Subject: RE: TR-6 Carb rebuild
From: Andrew Packard <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:25:26 -0500
I just got my TR250 carbs rebuilt and shined up and they look like new!  I
disassembled them, cleaned them as well as possible with some stiff brushes and
mineral spirits, and then took them to my Triumph mechanic who has a
sand-blasting box in his shop that's loaded with glass instead of sand to be
less abrasive.  He cleaned all of the parts and screws that I left in their
holes so the heads could be cleaned, too.  I took the parts home and blew them
clean of the glass with my air compressor (wearing goggles to keep the glass
from blowing in my eyes) and being very thorough since getting the glass out
can be tricky.  The parts were then all sprayed with carb/choke cleaner, rinsed
with water and blown dry again.  I assembled each carb and then clear-coated
the entire assembled units.  They came out great!  I just picked up my
bead-blasted and painted intake and exhaust manifolds tonight and I'm ready to
put it all back on my car this evening.  Except for a grungy heater valve, the
entire R side of my engine will look great! (I had the thermostat housing
cleaned up, too).  Good luck with you project.
Andy
TR250
Greensboro, NC