Re: Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing

To: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing
From: "David J Stauffacher" <dstauffa@csc.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:01:29 -0700
Shane,

At Triumphest this past weekend,  Herman van den Akker was displaying his
Toyota 5-speed conversion for the TR6.  As part of his kit, there is an
optional hydraulic release bearing.  It sounds just like what you are
talking about.  He runs the hoses (one for the bearing, the other is a
bleeder) through the fork opening.  A real slick setup just like the rest
of the conversion kit.

Dave Stauffacher
Ramona, California
1970 TR6 CP51649

All,

With all the discussion on the "frailty" of the stock and aftermarket
release bearings and selector-shaft forks, I am surprised that no-one has
suggested a hydraulic release bearing.  I have seen them for sale on the
Cambridge Motorsports web page for 385 British Pounds (ouch!).  But they
tend to be somewhat pricey, so I looked at the Tilton cattledog.

There appears to be plenty of room in the bell housing for a Tilton
bearing,
and the hydraulic hoses can fit through the hole vacated by the selector
shaft.  A small plate needs to be machined, and we could delete the clutch
slave cylinder.  This seems to be a win-win deal.

Anyone care to comment?

Shane Ingate in Maryland