Re: Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing

To: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:12:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Shane Ingate wrote:

> All,
>
> With all the discussion on the "frailty" of the stock and aftermarket
> release bearings and selector-shaft forks, I am surprised that no-one has
> suggested a hydraulic release bearing.  I have seen them for sale on the
> Cambridge Motorsports web page for 385 British Pounds (ouch!).  But they
> tend to be somewhat pricey, so I looked at the Tilton cattledog.
>
> There appears to be plenty of room in the bell housing for a Tilton bearing,
> and the hydraulic hoses can fit through the hole vacated by the selector
> shaft.  A small plate needs to be machined, and we could delete the clutch
> slave cylinder.  This seems to be a win-win deal.
>
> Anyone care to comment?

Sure, I've mentioned this solution at least 4 times in the last year or
so. FWIW, the Herman van den Akker 5 speed conversion also uses a
hydraulic release bearing.

There may be some confusion about the topic because I refer to it as an
"annular clutch release bearing", but it's been discussed on the 6 pack
list several times.

> Shane Ingate in Maryland

I say "go for it"
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |