RE: Fuel Tank Leak

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'"
Subject: RE: Fuel Tank Leak
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:05:47 -0400
Wow! I just prevented a disaster.

I completely drained the tank this afternoon. Went outside an hour ago and
still found a couple of spots of fuel under the car. In case it still had
some fuel in it, I figured I'd better completely remove the tank and get it
away from my house. Well, as I emptied out the trunk, I found just under 1
gal of fuel sitting under the spare tire. I should have checked it out
before. I guess I didn't totally understand how the tank is mounted. Got the
fuel out with a turkey baster and wiped it down as best as I could.

I proceeded to remove the tank. Took about 45 minutes. Once removed I found
some sort of patch slathered all over the bottom of the tank. Can't tell for
sure, but I'm guessing this is where the leak came from. This also explains
the mild gas smell which usually comes from the trunk when first opened.
Never saw fuel under the spare before though. I guess it was just soaked up
by the felt under the tank.

I have up until now refrained from using the term "DPO". No more. We all do
our best, but I'm pretty dismayed after finding this and also bollocksed-up
turn signal yesterday.

- Hugh Fader
72 TR6 (currently airing out)