RE: steering rack mounts

To: "'Walt Philipson '" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>,
Subject: RE: steering rack mounts
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:42:30 -0400
The shop I go to seems to favour the idea of shortening the U-clamp spacers
to get a better grip on the rack rubbers. I am referring to the flattish
metal Us that go inside the U-bolts to hold the rubber bushings. The guy at
the shop suggested cutting 1/8" off the part of the U that comes to rest
against the mounts for the rack. This lets the u-bolts squeeze tighter using
the same rubber bushings as stock.

It really worked for my 72 TR6. Much reduced play, but no extra vibration.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6