Oil Consumption

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Consumption
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:10:03 -0400
I am about to pull the engine in my '74 TR6 so that I can paint the engine
compartment before sending it out to the body shop for replacement of some
sheet metal and new paint.

While I have the engine out, I thought that I might send out my original head
for valve guides, harden seats and shave the head to give slightly higher
compression.  In doing this it also occurred to me that I might renew the main
and rod bearings and rings, if I can do so without any machine work. My thought
is that for about $200 I can "renew" my engine enough to get me down the road
several years when I would do a complete and more performance minded rebuild.

I currently run about 70 lbs of oil pressure running at operating temperature
at 70 mph in OD.  I have about 30 lbs of oil pressure hot at idle.  I recently
checked the compression on each cylinder and I get readings from 123 to 127.5.
 I get from 300 to 350 miles on a quart of oil and I have no engine oil leaks.

List, please chime in with your thoughts as I value your opinions.  Thanks.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN